Wednesday, June 2, 2010

MLB All Star Game votes....who is voting? who is going?






I started to pay attention to the All Star Votes this year for two reasons. One, the game is 50 Miles from my house. And Two, I will more than likely be covering it which means I better be paying attention.

Although the Angels are the official hosts, that other LA is team is on a tear. Quietly and dramatically. Three walk offs in the last three games and they had the best record in all of baseball in the month of June. Yes, the Los Angeles Dodgers.

So lets get down to business with this voting stuff. In the National League, it's all about the Philly's. Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Placido Polanco, Carlos Ruiz, Jayson Werth, Jimmy Rollins. I am talking top first or second spots in voting. Don't get me wrong, I know and like alot of these guys, but is this just a repeat of the last World Series..... and I have not even gotten to the AL yet! JImmy Rolllins? He has been on the DL since practically Spring Training! Although Albert is leading his top spot by more than 500 thousand votes, David Wright is inching his way ever closer at 3rd base but no one on the NL West leading Padres is even mentioned! This is obviously a popularity contest that consists of crazy fans who have nothing better to do in New York and Philly than to find every way possible to submit votes for this game. Dodger fans need to step up the hysteria! Andre Ethier is the obvious choice and is moving up in the outfield. By the way if David Wright does not make it, I may not even go!

Moving over to the American League. Angels outfielder Torii Hunter is practically single handily hosting this event and for that, he needs to be in game. O but wait, he doesn't wear Pin Stripes. I am happy to see the World Champs represented. Even if they weren't the World Champs, Jeter can come to any event as far as I am concerned. But add on in the votes for Texiera, Cano, Arod. I am relieved that Torii is beating out Granderson, Swisher and Gardner. Keep voting Angel fans!

I was always under the impression in the end, one or two guys from every team come and are represented. The best players from every team. A virtual candy store of the best of the best. I once had a camera guy who had to take a break because he had to fill out his All Star Ballot. Not just one either. All I can say is, if you want to see your team represented and you are not a Yankee or Philly fan, VOTE!

No comments:

Post a Comment